Monday, November 11, 2013

Zone Conference in Guadeloupe

So last Monday we left for Guadeloupe.  It’s beautiful there and I didn’t have much time to take pictures but I snapped a few.  It was really great to meet and reunite with the sisters.
 
President Mehr asked us to memorize ten scriptures from any chapter we choose.  So the whole week before I had been trying to memorize mine, and Monday night all of us sisters were practicing on ours.  I kept on asking my companion all week if she had hers yet and she said … nope, but don’t worry about me.  Well she’s some sort of genius because she literally looked over her section 30 minutes before her interview and had it completely memorized.  She’s amazing.  I picked 2 Nephi 2:3-11, 14.  And we’ll be memorizing and reciting 10 new scriptures every zone conference from now on.
 
The conference was for Guadeloupe, St. Maarten and Martinique.  So pretty much everyone there except for me spoke fluent French.  I probably felt like Hermana Kallina Crompton when she first entered the MTC in Mexico.  I had no idea what people were saying.  I could understand a few things but my phrase for the whole conference was “je ne comprend pas” or “je comprends un petit francais”
 
The conference was good and we learned a lot of great teaching skills to implement.  There are only 6 of us sisters.  The Guadeloupe ones are Sister Hawkes (yes my old FHE sister from BYU-I) and Stahle and the Martinique sisters are Sister Bouchaut and her temp companion Sister Occolier.  So that night all of them were fluent French speakers and they were trying to see what I understood.  It was pretty entertaining for them, ha.
 
Guadeloupe is very … Frenchy.  The toilet paper is pink and there are flower and bakery places everywhere.  Sister Hawkes make us crepes the next morning for breakfast … yum.
 
I was able to do some training and then be trained to learn French during their language study.
 
We went out with the Guadeloupe sisters after the Martinique sisters had left and I got my dream to ride bikes with Sister Hawkes.  It’s amazing and a little difficult how the gospel is the same but the people are so different on every island, so I tried to learn to adapt to their general concerns and questions fast.  It was cool to experience the teaching in Guadeloupe even though I had to be translated to every 2 minutes.  Maybe one day I’ll learn French.

Later that day we went to the church where Elder Gamiette and Sister Mehr had a fireside for the 2015 Celebration, which will celebrate 25 years since the Caribbean was dedicated for missionary work.
 
We flew back early the next morning and even though our week was short we had some lessons and even extended a baptismal date for an investigator whose son is on a mission in Haiti now.  We’ve been working with her for quite some time and the Lord really does soften hearts and bless the families of serving missionaries.  It’s amazing.
 
On Sunday we taught the 3 hour of primary and it’s an interesting experience trying to teach 7-10 year olds about the Sabbath day.  We mentioned how we refrain from doing chores like sweeping the floor and one kid yells out “my mom NEVER sweeps the floor, even on days in the week!”  It was really funny.  We are getting ready for another senior couple to come to the island, the Thompsons, so I guess you’ll hear more next week!
 
Much Love,
Sister Crompton
 
 
 
The Guadeloupe Zone Conference 
 
The St. Maarten, Guadeloupe and Martinique Sisters
 
Me and my companion, Sister Joseph
 
Some of the vistas in Guadeloupe

 
Riding bikes
 

No comments:

Post a Comment